Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Unexpected Ode


Ode to Rain

Sitting I see the rain play down my window pane,
The clouds that shadow the sky
Let your heavy load gracefully fall
Let the burden you carry
Let the stress that confides you,
Let it all fall.

Let the drops become rain
Let the rain become a downpour,
Allow the storm to wash away the worries
The quenching earth,
Mother of all,
Let her take all your burdens and make new life,
Take the load off your shoulders
Make the new seed grow
Unearth all the soiled dreams
The dreams no one knew were there
Give the dark soil new life
Give the tree a place to watch
Give the rose a chance to love
Give the grass a chance to spread its soft velvet coat.

But with all things you have to go
The winds don’t stay still for long
The clouds grow lighter,
Soft and dry,
The wind plays with them as they skip across the sky
Sunlight takes your place and kisses my face
I know that you will come again
When the earth calls for you
When the soiled dreams become covered
When the clouds have had enough
You will come again.

4 comments:

  1. I've always loved rain and now I love it even more! I especially loved the line, "allow the storm to wash away the worries." Reminds me of the Gary Allan song Every Storm Runs out of Rain. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful poem! I wasn't very happy about the rain yesterday, but now I wish it would rain again so I can appreciate it more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the rain, compared to many who dislike it. I don't necessarily driving in it or getting wet from it. But, I like how even something other than humans can show gloom and issues... even if their really isn't any, just heavy clouds. :) I hope that made any sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some really evocative images in here, especially grass "spreading its velvet coat" and "soiled dreams become covered."

    ReplyDelete