Monday, February 11, 2013

Howl Imitation



I watch the actions of my generation

I watch them, the kids I knew for years, have their whole lives ahead of them and throw it all away

I watch as the death toll rises and peoples drive to succeed drop

I watch as the minds of my generation succumb to sex, to alcohol, to drugs without a second glance at what it’s doing to them and their families.

I listen to the playful laughter as people joke about getting shit faced at bars, and even after the warnings and consoling given they still pick up their keys and think their able to drive.

I hear of another girl having a baby, I hear of another family evicted, another person filing for bankruptcy, a child who is hungry and gets only the food provided by their school.

I think to myself, ask myself again and again, how can this keep on going the way it has.
When is the next death, the next shooting going to be too much

I see the minds and bodies of my generation and see nothing potential

I see low end jobs, no education, struggles and heartbreaks.

I see, watch my generation disrespect the people who worked so hard to give everything they had to us, to stand us up when we fell, to feed us when we couldn’t do it ourselves, to kiss our fresh Band-Aid when we cut ourselves.

And what do we do in return?

We scoff at their faces, curse them as they cautiously drive, we ignore the legacy that they leave and call it shit. We ignore the fact that most of them gave up their lives to ensure our freedom. The freedom we take for granted every day.

I watch as my generation grows lazy and without thought soaks in the media around them. The media, the songs, the images that my generation knows is  wrong but does nothing about but simply pass it by as nothing wrong.

I watch my generation…

I want to see my generation be productive, to do something that changes not only their lives but the lives that had yet to come and the lives that told us right from wrong. I want to watch as my generation builds new future, builds new jobs and help rebuild the American we call home.

But…

We’ll all just have to watch and see.


1 comment:

  1. I'm most affected by the "kiss our Band-aids" line. I, too, see a lot of disrespect for parents or adults of any kind, really.

    ReplyDelete