Thursday, April 25, 2013

Linda's Diary Entry


May 5th 1928
-          Willy has made another trip home, a smile on his face and the boys running up to meet him. It so good to see Willy doing well at work. He brought in at least 112 dollars! I wish to get a new refrigerator in the kitchen, hopefully Hap and Biff will be willing to help carry it up the steps in front of the house. Oh, seeing the Willy and the boys brings a smile to my face, Biff’s doing splendid in his classes while Hap is with his jobs. What a lucky girl I am.

August 20th 1935
-          It’s been hard. The payments on things seem to creep up on you without any warning and without Willy bringing in the money he used to… I do love to see Willy come home but time and time again he just walks in, not even looking at me. I ask him time and time again how he did but he just waves me off, telling me he talks to much, jokes to much anymore. Lately he’s been up late talking to himself, about better times, when things were better. With Biff, home its only gotten worse. I hate to see them fight but it’s the only interaction they have anymore. I just don’t know how much longer we… I have to keep up with this. It’s only looking worse. 

3 comments:

  1. good job! This definitely demonstrates what is happening within her family life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested in the second to the last line. The idea that she "has to" keep up with "this" is somewhat disturbing. I suppose it implies that she doesn't want to, and more ominously, I suppose a reader could infer that Linda wants out, either via divorce or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete